Monday, September 17, 2007

Dr. Keller's Interview

First of all, I think the availability of the interview in such a wide variety of mediums was very appropriate considering the content of the interview, and personally much appreciated as it meant I could combine listening to it with training (I'm training for the Avon Breast Cancer Walk-a marathon and a half, so training is unfortunately rather time-consuming, so thank you for making it available as a podcast.
I thought that Dr. Keller had some really interesting perspectives both on technology and on special education. I found his connection between the different paradigms relating to special education and the terminology used for technology particularly interesting. As I have had little experience with technology I assumed that there was a difference between assistive technology and adaptive technology and didn't realize they were interchangeable terms. However, after Dr. Keller acknowledged this fact and explained his preference I found myself really relating to what he said and able to see how these different terms are indicative of the paradigm that he connected them to. As he said assistive implies the person requires assistance from others, that the person is broken and needs to be fixed, this definitely follows the medical model assuming that there is some inherent problem to be fixed or corrected in the way a person's body works. Whereas adaptive technology makes me think of technology that simply changes the environment so that this person's unique needs and strengths can be used more advantageously in a new surrounding that suits them. This focus on changing the environment feels to me like the way that special education reform should be moving, it is truly representative of the type of equality that is supposed to be our country's foundation.
Along the lines of adapting the environment rather than assisting the person was Dr. Keller's comment about the creative use of materials. The compensatory use of materials is something teachers often don't consider, myself included, and can be of enormous benefit to everyone. Rather than waiting for the money for the perfect piece of equipment, which as we know can take a long time if government funds are required, or for the perfect equipment to be created we can look around ourselves and find something that will work just as well, as Dr. Keller did with his in-flight audio recorder. However, I do acknowledge that this isn't always the easiest thing to do. In fact often I think the easiest solution is sometimes the most difficult to see, even when it is right in front of your nose, as I'm sure was the case with the pencil for the astronauts scenario.
From there, Dr. Keller went into his story about Washington Square Park. I think that story would be a wonderful story for not only teachers, but students with disabilities to hear. As I have never been a student with a disability I know that I can't even begin to imagine the struggles that my students will have not only in learning, working, and everyday tasks, but in coming to terms with who they are including their strengths and weaknesses, as we all do, but with the addition of their disability and how that affects their life and how others perceive them. I think for students to be able to hear from someone who really has accomplished so much in his life about how hard it was for him, they will be able to understand that those types of feelings are normal and expected.
Dr. Keller's next story involving the color identifier brought a question to my mind that I don't know if there really is an exact answer to. Dr. Keller talked about the independence and control he felt at being able to choose to learn that information, the colors of his surroundings. However, Dr. Keller did used to have sight and therefore has an association with what he perceives brown or gray or blue as, but what about a person who has never had sight or has always been colorblind, would this person really benefit from a color identifier? Would there be any association for them of what brown or gray or blue means?
Finally, the last thing I wanted to discuss was when Dr. Keller brought up the curb cuts for people in wheelchairs and the negative impact these have for some others with disabilities. I hadn't ever thought before about how one person's access to an environment is actually a potential block of access for another. It made me sad when he said there's no perfect solution because I suppose I had never thought about that truth before, that there isn't any way to really meet everyone's needs regardless of how long we work at it or how thorough we try to be.

As for the Points to Remember document, to be perfectly honest I didn't find either one particularly clear. I definitely found the word version easier, but the print was still small and close together. The PDF format was very difficult for me to read as there was little sense of directionality and presented itself more as an image then text. As was discussed in Chapter 3, everyone has different issues or strengths in perception and I suppose that my strength coincides with our society's norm, print. I find things easier to follow that are in a sequential order and I am lucky enough to be a good reader, a definite advantage in our print-focused society. On the other hand, the PDF format appeared to me to be more of an image with less of a sequence, allowing students to read it in the order they choose. This could definitely be beneficial for students that have issues in sequencing.

4 comments:

Marielle said...

I thought the section on where Dr. Keller talked about assistive technology vs. adaptive technology was definitely a good clarification of the two. I didn’t really see the significant difference between the two until I listened to the interview. I think that adaptive technology is a great thing because you are focusing on the individual with a disability and how you can make a piece of technology to suite them and their environment, not just “fix” them. I also that that the story Dr. Keller told about Washington Square Park was a great story for teachers and students. I think hearing real world experience in such a detailed way really makes you think about how a person with a disability might feel. Your comment about the color identifier was very interesting, I actually thought of that too when I was listening to the interview. I don’t think that color would have significance to someone who has never seen before, but for someone who has had sight, I could imagine that it is a wonderful experience to know what color things are even if you can’t see them. I would think that it makes getting dressed an easier experience.  The comment about no perfect solution was upsetting to me also, but I guess that is the truth. I think that we have to work on what is the best option for the best number of people, and hopefully it will include most people.

Dolly said...

Hi Kimberly!
It was so interesting that you brought up the different mediums for access to the interview because that was something that didn't even cross my mind! Reading that portion of your blog reminded me of how we all have to have our "UDL" glasses on at all times especially as an educator of individuals with disabilties. Thanks for the insight! I was reminded of how I really need to keep a keen eye out for things like that.

Jenny said...

Hi Kimberly!

Dr. Keller’s point about the wheelchair curb cuts definitely made me realize how much the environment can assist one disability but not another. This shows how many things in this world are inaccessible to people with disabilities. I had the same feeling of how there is no one perfect solution but at the same time, it is great to see how we now have IEPs for students with disabilities and how we can individualize instruction.

Joe said...

Kim as seems to be the norm thank you for your thoughtful response. I would like to invite you to Page's blog. Go to the "adaptive technology" post and see my comments there. I"ll be interested to hear you comments.

. . . "I think the easiest solution is sometimes the most difficult to see, even when it is right in front of your nose, . . . " Although, I have learned many things from working and practicing w/in this field, one of my favorite is the incite it has give me. Particularly the ability to look at the most common object and see a world of possibilities. The second most important thing I have learned is to ask for help and encourage collaboration. This is how I find the simplest solution . . . of course you must trust those w/ whom you consult.

In the job I recently left I worked w/ a team of folks and it was our collaboration that made our center work. When we entered a new school, organization, and even when we started working w/ a new client one of the first things we would do would be to start talking to each other . . . reviewing possible solutions, methods, etc. I feel teaching is no different and it is a necessity to teach w/ technology. I know it can be difficult but collaborative teaching really does work. Anyway I did not mean to ramble but your comment really resonated w/ me.

So, I guess the point is to never stop looking at X and asking what else X can do/be/etc.

As far as the "not being able to meet everyone's needs" . . . maybe not but it is a worthwhile pursuit for me. Sometimes it is fun to chase rainbows ;).